IGN Wireless is reporting an interesting detail from the MIX conference in Las Vegas this past week: No real-time multiplayer in Windows Phone 7 games. While Microsoft is making great strides with the user interface and SDK changes in Windows Phone 7, it appears that online gaming will not be what some may have thought it to be on the platform.
There will still be online games, but will use a more traditional turn based system. I would say this is okay but it could possibly limit creativity from certain developers. The iPhone already has real-time multiplayer games along with the traditional console and PC games.
Of course, Windows Phone 7 is a completely new operating system so not everything can be expected right now. Maybe in the next version we will see this and copy & paste make a triumphant return.
- Windows Phone 7 Looking to be an Entertainment Powerhouse
- New Windows Phones to Include Xbox Live
- Windows Phone 7 Launch Rumors & R2-D2 Droid 2 Details – Mobile Monday Madness
- Windows Phone 7 Apps & Sony Mocking iGames – Mobile Monday Madness
- New Windows Phone 7 Commercial & iOS 4.1 Release: Mobile Monday Madness