Walmart has launched Gamecenter, a website focused on online video game sales. The site offers sales promotions and a low standard shipping fee, as well as a video game-centric layout. Walmart is not the only retailer increasing its focus on video games; earlier this week, Target announced that it would be expanding its video game section to meet rising demand.
Gamecenter is more than just sales; the site will host video previews, interviews, and Walmart specific promotions. Currently customers will receive a $50 eGift card with the preorder of three or more games. Walmart already offers gamers more options than just sales; gamers can trade in video games and electronics for prepaid Walmart Visa cards.
So far Walmart’s gaming forays have not been enough to compete with specialty retailers like Gamestop. Perhaps Gamecenter will have more traction than previous Walmart experiments.
- Console Gaming News: Kinect Walmart Bundle, New Xbox 360 Dashboard?, PS3 Move Bundle Announced
- Kindle iPad Commercials, Walmart’s Mobile Plans: Tech Tuesday
- Wal-Mart Expanding Christian Games Market
- Social Games and Football Meet Through Canadian Website
- Traditional Video Games See 26 Percent Slide in Sales