Nielsen surveyed 1,700 online users and found that 73 percent of those respondents engaged in some form of social media at least once at week. Of course, considering that the survey was held online, the numbers may be slightly skewed–but it still shows the growing importance of the segment. Nielsen pegs the U.S. social media audience at 127 million. It defines social media as reading a blog, visiting a social networking site, and/or commenting on a message board.
Some other interesting data released from the study:
- 47 percent of respondents visit Facebook daily
- 32.7 million people play social games every day
- Over 50 percent of respondents, however, said they never play social games
- According to Nielsen, only 11.4 million Twitter users use the service daily
- 11 percent of respondents said they read blogs daily, compared to 17 percent that said they read online message boards daily