Do you play Phantasy Star Online? Or, rather, did you? PSO was a rather remarkable title when it came out on the Dreamcast in 2001, but given that that was on a console that’s no longer supported and servers which are no longer available, Phantasy Star’s been offline for a good long while — even taking into account the later releases on GameCube, Xbox, and a few Asia-only PC versions. No longer! TriplePoint client SEGA today confirmed that they’re loading up the Arks again, and North American players will be playing Phantasy Star Online 2 some time in 2013.
From the press release:
Over ten years have passed since the release of the boundary-breaking Dreamcast hit,Phantasy Star Online, and SEGA is poised to continue the Phantasy Star series’ multiplayer legacy on PCs worldwide with Phantasy Star Online 2. In the Year 238, the New Era of Light, players will join a new band of Arks in the fight against mysterious D-Arkers, embarking on another epic adventure of infinite possibilities!
Phantasy Star Online 2’s features include:
- Deep sci-fi fantasy universe filled with lush landscapes, extraordinary creatures, and epic adventures
- Revolutionary real-time combat and third-person action with devastating combos and counters to master
- Flexible, class-based leveling system that lets players define their own play-style with distinctive melee, ranged, and magic weapon types
- Randomized maps and unexpected mid-quest encounters that ensure each quest is different for each player
- Deep character creation system with a nearly limitless number of potential appearances
- Three degrees of humanity to experience across three unique races: the versatile Humans, spiritually-powered Newmen, and artificial CAST
I think we can all look forward to a nice year of headlines full of “ph” word alterations until then. Or not. I’m phlexible!