As reported by Mobile Marketing Watch, of the 4.2 million new wireless subscribers that purchased a cell phone in Q4 of 2009, almost two-thirds – 65 percent – chose to purchase a prepaid plan.
This figure comes from a recent survey by the New Millennium Research Council, which also found that when compared to last year, prepaid service providers grew by 17% in Q4 2009 to 54.4 million subscribers, up from 46.3 million in 2008.
It’s no doubt that the economy has played some role in this jump in prepaid sales, as more users are finding the freedom from contracts and early termination fees to be a highly desirable one. All told, prepaid mobile customers now comprise 20% of the total wireless market.
- Zynga Prepaid Game Cards Now Available at 7-Eleven
- Wireless Wednesday: iPhone 4 Recall?, Opera Mini 5.1 for Android, Facebook’s Like Button
- Amount of Mobile Gamers Declining, While Usage Increases
- Unlock Your iPhone 4 & Android Top-Selling Platform – Wireless Wednesday
- Mobile Gaming is Worth $540 Million in 2009