If you asked a traditional console gamer which game they thought topped NPD’s sales charts for January, they would probably answer Mass Effect 2, BioWare’s mega-sequel that gamers everywhere have been waiting for, for years. Actually, forget every other gamer; if you had asked me which game I thought would top the charts, my answer would have been a resounding yell of Mass Effect 2 – a fan girl squeal of excitement based on the game’s downright awesomeness. However, I and those hypothetical gamers in question were all wrong.
Casual gamers (and the hardcore elite alike) spoke loud and clear last month, placing New Super Mario Bros. Wii at the top of the console charts for a second month in a row.
Mass Effect came in second place with 572,100 units sold, to New Super Mario Bros. Wii’s 656,700. The rest of the chart was dominated by other Wii and 360 titles, including Modern Warfare 2 at 4th and Wii Fit Plus in 3rd. The only PS3 representation on the chart was Modern Warfare 2 in 7th, selling 259 thousand units.
Here’s the full top ten, as reported by Edge:
01. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) – 656.7K
02. Mass Effect 2 (360) – 572.1K
03. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) – 555.7K
04. Modern Warfare 2 (360) – 326.7K
05. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) – 310.9K
06. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) – 297.6K
07. Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) – 259.0K
08. Army of Two: The 40th Day (360) – 246.5K
09. Just Dance (Wii) – 191.9K
10. Darksiders (360) – 171.2k