This game looks like a Parappa player’s dream! FRET NICE lets you beat up baddies in a colorful new way – by blasting them away with sick rock riffs – as you strum your way to victory through artfully abstract levels, set to the musical stylings of the Vibrant Chordblasters and player-created original jams.
Tecmo is releasing the new rhythm-platformer hybrid game on PlayStation Network (PSN) today… Developed by Pieces Interactive, FRET NICE is also slated to hit Xbox LIVE Arcade in the near future. It’s rated “E” for “Everyone” by the ESRB (for Cartoon Violence and Mild Lyrics), and offers single and 2-player multiplayer modes. More from the FRET NICE website:
FRET NICE™ harmonizes the unity between music and the 2D platformer. As you control your character through the artful stages, you play the game as if it were a jammin’ rock song. Rock out by blasting enemies with riff combos and creating your own soundtracks with each “strum” of a chord. Each time a stage is repeated, you will have an ever-changing experience.
The Vibrant Chordblasters have been touring the world and spreading their unique style of music, which constantly has won over new fans. That is, until it gets into the ears of the Hair Bängers. They are vicious hard rocking people who, upon hearing the new type of music, go on an outrageous rampage in disgust, invading the whole world trying to spread their own heavy metal music and heavy metal hair wherever they go. With the whole world blaming the Vibrant Chordblasters for angering the Hair Bängers, the band has no other choice but to chase all of the Hair Bängers back to Heavy Metal Kingdom using the most powerful weapon in the world… Rock’n'roll!
Here’s the official trailer:
FRET NICE FEATURES:
- Audio Dynamics: Notes you play in Riff Combos are relative to the current key of the stages’ songs, allowing for user-generated audio-tastic soundtracks.
- Facial Attribute System: A fun and visual way to interpret riff combos. For example, if there are three eyes and two tentacles on an enemy, you have to “strum” three of the same notes and two same other note in the riff combo.
- Cooperative Play: Play cooperatively with a friend (locally) to clear stage levels and compete with each other for high scores. The catch is that you are connected by an instrument cord, preventing both of you from getting too far from each other on a shared screen.
- Online Leaderboards: The scores from each level played are posted on online leaderboards. Keep playing for the highest score and beat the competition!
- Character Customization: Choose your character and customize its hair, clothes, and instruments!
- Unlockables: As you play through the game, new instruments and customizable items can be unlocked!
- Riff Combos: When a note is played in the air, a Riff Combo will be activated to help defeat enemies.
Thanks to Gamer’s Intuition for the tip!