After yesterday’s free app let everyone help to save the world, today’s app gets back to gaming, offering an RTS/RPG in the form of UniWar, which was nominated for several awards last year, including Best Strategy Game and Best Multiplayer Game on the iPhone.
UniWar’s turn-based gameplay takes place on a hexagonal grid, and is lightly comparable to checkers or chess, but with more complexity. Each unit has different strengths and weaknesses, and the terrain can be used to either help yourself or take advantage of your opponent – for those familiar with Advance Wars or StarCraft, think of this as a sort of blend.
Here’s the full list of game features, direct from the developer:
- 3 races, each with eight varied units.
- 50+ maps to choose from with up to 8 players.
- Play up to 20 games at once.
- Team play allows 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4.
- Campaign Mode with 21 missions.
- Play modes: Multiplayer online, Vs. the phone AI, Vs. a friend on the same phone (hot seat), and Campaign mode.
- Worldwide Global Ladder.
- Create or join several games.
- Email notifications when it is your turn.
- In-game chat channel and server main chat room.
- Dedicated game ladder.
- Rated or unrated game selection.
- Game settings include fog of war and online bots.
- Animated units during play.
- Cross-platform game. Play your friends even if they have another phone model.
- Dedicated website.