Boy Scout of America has finally recognized that video games are here to stay. Most kids play video games of one kind or another, and the Scouts have integrated them into their award system. Cub Scouts can now earn a Video Game belt loop and pin. Earning the awards are not as easy as simply playing video games; the requirements aim to get parents involved with their kids’ hobbies, and work towards incorporating games into a healthy lifestyle. For a belt loop, Scouts will have to do the following.
- Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.
- With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
- Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.
Once they’ve earned the belt loop, Scouts can move towards achieving the Video Game Pin. Requirements for the pin are below.
- With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.
- Compare two game systems. Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.
- Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.
- Teach an adult or friend how to play a video game.
- List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.
- Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.
- Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.
- Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer’s warranty.
- With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system.
It’s encouraging to see an institution like the Boy Scouts accepting video games as a valid part of the lives of children. You can read more about the new awards at the official Boy Scouts of America website.